wtorek, 22 lutego 2011

Personality - week 11

   Personality contains a pattern of features responsible for behaviour of an individual. Every person has got a different personality and behaves in different way. People's personalities may be similar at some points but they are never the same at every point.
   Nature approach to personality explains people's behaviour through their hereditary characteristics. It shows that people can inherit characteristics such as rapidity , wisdom or charisma from their ancestors. For example , if a person is intelligent and has many abilities and in future is a parent , it's child or grandchild is likely to inherit some or even all of it's personal characteristics.
   Individual can also develop it's personality through the environmental influences such as contact with it's peers , situation in it's family or it's interests. This kind of personality development is explained by the nurture approach to personality. For example , when an inteligent person gets into a group of people with lower level of inteligence , that person is likely to lose it's confidence in it's inteligence and may have problems in developing his future key skills.
   However , both nature and nurture approaches can involve the same characteristics. For example , when an individual inherits stubbornness , he or she can develop it to even higher level when being guided by that characteristic in decision-making.
   The nomothetic approach contains a fixed perspective of people with similar traits. It shows the same psychological meaning in people having unique combinations of traits. On the other hand , what makes people different in that approach is the amount of possesed traits. This approach tends to view personality as consistent , inherited and resistant to change and view environmental and social influences as minimal. It's also helpful for managers , when the selection is on in their organistations as they can use it in future when training employed individuals.
   The idiographic approach is a perspective showing that people unique structrure but their cardinal traits are more important than others because they help in understanding their structures. It explains also that some traits are possessed by only one person and sometimes it is impossible to compare some individuals as the responses of compared individuals may not be comparable. (Mullins , 2010) suggests that personality assessment is not a valid method of understanding the unique ways of individuals's behaviour as the depth of a person's personality cannot be revealed in superficial paper-and-pencil questionnaires.
   In my opinion , nature approach has got a tremendous influence on people as their inherited traits make their basic way of behaving but nowadays the nurture approach has dominant influence on people as that basic models created by inherited traits change as people develop that traits or gain new ones influenced by other people , more often in negative way. It is easy to see that many people are leaving their priorities for their friends and very often become criminals because of that.

   After taking the personality test at the BBC website , I found out my five key traits on different levels of importance. The results showed that I am conscientious , open , neurotic , extrovert and agreeable. The level of my openess found out to be high , which means that I am open for novel experiences and artistically sensitive. Conscientiousness in my example reached the border level between low and medium showing that I am not a person that plans everything and sticks to that plans every singe time but it doesn't mean that I am never making any plans and stick to them. Extroversion is linked to positive emotions and energy and explains people's  desire for social stimulation. My extroversion is on the medium level so I am a person with positive emotions and energy , but I am not making people around me feel better every time they see me as I am not reacting to everybody. My agreeableness reached medium level as well. This means that I care about feelings of others and I am likely to trust many people , but only the ones I feel I can trust. Another key trait reaching high level in my example is neuroticism. High level of that trait explains that I can manage with stress and negative emotions like anxiety and fear very well and I am also very good in perceiving threats. In my opinion it is a reliable source as after watching video , in which a psychologist explained that traits in my results I found them all to be truly presented.


Bibliography:

- Mullins , Laurie J. (2010) Management & Organisational Behaviour. Ninth edition. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.

- Personality Traits. (2004) Personality Traits: Idiographic vs. Nomothetic. [Online] July 2004. Available from: http://wilderdom.com/personality/traits/PersonalityTraitsIdiographicNomothetic.html [Accessed: 22nd February 2011]

- The BBC Lab UK. (2010) The Big Personality Test. [Online] Available from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/personality/ [Accessed: 22nd February 2011]


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz