czwartek, 7 kwietnia 2011

Performance Management - week 22

   One of the commonly used methods of performance management is the appraisal. BusinessDictionary.com explain the performance appraisal as ''process by which a manager or consultant examines and evaluates an employee's work behavior by comparing it with preset standards, documents the results of the comparison, and uses the results to provide feedback to the employee to show where improvements are needed and why''. It also says that ''performance appraisals are employed to determine who needs what training, and who will be promoted, demoted, retained, or fired''.
   When working as a junior mechanic at the garage , I have had an appraisal when working there for a month. It was carried out by the senior mechanic , who has been responsible for the department of the garage that I worked in. The senior mechanic started with questions about the work I have already finished. He wanted to know if I had any problems with that work and if yes , the way how I solved them. After my explanation regarding the small amount of problems I met , he was glad that I knew how to solve them in fast and efficient way. He told me that I was good at it. He shown me the timetables of the department and explained what to do to improve the working pace , even though he told me that it was good. He also presented the objectives that were to be done within the next months and clearly stated what was going to be expected from me. To give me additional information , I have been told about personal changes in the department.
   I found that appraisal effective. The senior mechanic wanted to make sure that by the right use of it , my work would improve without a negative impact on my motivation. By creating the objectives , he wanted to improve my performance , saying that it already was good. To show me that I am being treated as a proper employee without any signs of age discrimination , he was very serious. What is more , he was honest , had a proper knowledge to answer every question I asked him and used the clear language to make sure that I understood his points.

   Mentor is a person that supports and encourages people. He does it personally to others , by one to one consultation. It's a person trying to pass his experiences and teach other people how to use their skills properly to be more successful.
   To be an effective mentor , a high level of communication skills is required. No matter how big is the organisation that mentor works within , it's impossible for him to be effective when being shy and uncomfortable about working with people. To make proper use of his knowledge and skills , he has to create an interesting way to show other people how to develop their skills. Thus , they would be able to be a better employees , managers etc. Effective mentor should also be able to set up challenges between people that he works with. Challenges created by mentors could improve productivity as when working on issues with an experienced mentor , people would be able to see the way how to work on them , and gain the attitude from him. For example , in business organisation , people could learn how to solve problems easily on a simulations of rivalry between the teams , and in future be more effective with that experience.
   Mentoring requires also the ability to have a positive impact on people from different experience backgrounds. No matter if mentor is working with retail company employees , accountants or marketing managers , he should have the ability to improve their skills by the right presentation of his attitude to issues. Mentors having such ability can show the issues that are not industry-specific to people from different industries.

   My father has always been a mentor to me. Ever since I was a little kid , I wanted to be as good at everything as my dad or even better. He helped me in changing my lifestyle when I was sixteen years old. I used to have serious problem with sweets and normal food , and my parents were not able to control me at one point. My dad found a way to solve that problem. He explained that when carrying on with that lifestyle , I could have serious problems with health. The way he explained it to me was really serious and I remember that I realized how serious was that situation. My dad decided that he will hire a personal fitness coach , but not be one of that parents that don't care when have somebody to take care of their child. He also decided that he will join me , and we will excersise four times in a week together. Within three years , I lost twenty-seven kilograms of my body weight , I was able to bench press one hundred and twenty-five kilograms , and run for six kilometres on a forest track. My lifestyle changed completely.
   I started to train quadcross , which is a powersport discipline , when competitors race each other with quadbikes on a tracks full of jumps and hills. My fitness' level was increasing fastly. My dad provided me with everything I needed to do that sport , he went on trainings with me four times a week , and put much effort to make me as good as he was able to. Everytime I had a bad moment , he was there to motivate me. After three years of quadbike racing , I was known in Polish powersport environment as a good rider , and I started to compete at European Championship Rallys , and went for a international rally in Morroco.
   Nowadays , I am doing my university degree in England. My parents are in Poland , but my dad still supports me. When starting my degree I was anxious , because I didn't know if I was going to handle university work , and I had a bad moments with a lack of motivation. Again , my dad was there to motivate me and he even told me , that if it really is that bad , change your university. Although , he knew that I will not do that , because he was ensured about mine habit of no resigning , as he was the one that made that habit in me.
   My father was always a mentor to me. He was always there when I needed him. He explained every single issue that I wanted him to. Although being a chief executive of a international transport company , he put a lot of time and effort to save my life as my lifestyle was really harmful until I reached the age of sixteen. He had the proper knowlegde , skills and experience to explain everything with arguments , and basis from his experience. He also had a big impact on me , when it came to the national history of Poland. He spend hours to tell me the facts about the numeorus wars that Poland took part in , about other countries slaving or betraying Polish nation. My dad wanted me to be a patriot with proper values. He told me to fight for what's mine , never resign and to be a good person. I consider myself to be lucky to have such mentor as my father is.


Bibliography:
  • Definition of the performance appraisal. (2011)  Business Dictionary.[Online] Available at: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/performance-appraisal.html [Accessed: 7th April 2011]
  • Entrepreneurs. (2008) Times Online. [Online] April 2008. Available at: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/performance-appraisal.html [Accessed: 7th April 2011]

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz